Monday 8 September 2014

Days 5-8

Day 5 North Berwick:

Sophie and I went with our host family to North Berwick, a quaint seaside town. It was only a couple stops away from the train, and it was nice to see the countryside, the cows, the horses, and the hay. No Highland cows though. It's so funny because this version of a beach town and California's version of a beach town are so different. North Berwick is still very old, and styled in the same way as Edinburgh, not the modern beach style I'm used to seeing! We walked along the beach, and Max wanted to so badly to play in the sand, but we were heading up to the Seabird Center first. The wind picked up and I was glad for my jacket and the continuous walking. There were a couple rocky islands off the coast and looking back at the houses on the shore made for good pictures! We stopped for lunch, and finally Max could play in the sand, which he loved. Someone was actually swimming in the water- she said it wasn't that cold, which I highly, highly doubt. Especially because I'm used to Hawaiian temperature water. Then we walked the high street, which is what we would call the main street, and stopped in the cute shops, especially as it started to drizzle. Thank god it didn't start to rain until we were under the train shelter. I was still a little damp when we got back to their house, but it didn't matter because we warmed up with tea, my new favorite. :)

North Berwick

Beach houses-not like those Californian ones!


Day 6, 7, 8: Finally Glasgow!

I was honestly really sad to leave our host family but I'm sure we'll see them whether we visit again or they come to Glasgow. Sophie and I were dropped back off at our meeting point and from there all of us hauled our luggage to the train station. Once someone helped us arrange our luggage, it was a smooth 45 minute ride to Glasgow. Another staff member met us there and helped us get to our assigned dorms, or our flat. It's not bad, we each get our own rooms, furnished, with a kitchen and a common room for 4 (or maybe 5 if we have another roommate) girls. We just had to get a couple plates, mugs and utensils. None of us really cook, so we'll see how many pots and pans we really need.


So far we've had a bus tour of Glasgow for 2 hours, so we saw most of the big sites from the bus, and we registered our visas for orientation. Some of my roommates and I also walked 25 minutes to get groceries, and then walked those 25 minutes back with them! That's something I haven't done before, and it was an experience. My arms are still a little sore from it....
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum


Forgot what this was but how cute is it??
We walked around the campus a little too, and it's gorgeous. It's crazy old; it was founded in 1451 and is the fourth oldest university in the English speaking world! Thankfully the weather has been amazing- nice and warm and no rain so far.
My university, University of Glasgow
We've been spoiled by the great weather


There's been a request for more pictures of me, so I'll try... but doesn't this look like it's straight out of Hogwarts?!


No comments:

Post a Comment